Many have left children alone in a car, not realizing the risks involved. Some have thought it is safe to leave a child alone in a car while they run into a store, or quickly drop off another child at school. The results of leaving a child alone in or around a vehicle can be deadly!
- The temperature inside a car can reach deadly levels in minutes.
- Children can set the vehicle in motion.
- The child might leave the vehicle to look for you.
- The child could be abducted.
Never Leave Children Alone In or Around Vehicles… Not Even For A Minute!
- Children should never be left alone in a vehicle, not even to run a quick errand.
- Keep vehicles locked at all times, even in the garage or driveway.
- Keys should never be left in reach of children.
- Teach your children to never play in or around a vehicle.
- Always make sure that all child passengers have left the car after it is parked. Be sure that all occupants leave the vehicle when unloading. Don’t overlook sleeping babies.
- Place your purse or briefcase in the back seat as a reminder that you have a child in the car.
- If a child is locked inside a car, get them out as quickly as possible. If they are hot or seem sick, call 911 immediately!
- If you see a child unattended in a hot vehicle, call 911 immediately!
- When a child is missing, check the pool first and then check vehicles and car trunks right away. Teach your children that vehicles are never to be used as a play area.
- Make “look before you leave” a routine whenever you get out of the car.